Thursday, August 9, 2012

Entry: midday October 9, 1927

We started the day without rehashing the horrible events of the night. There is no reason to ever mention it out loud again.

We decided to skip breakfast and head straight out. The first stop was Devereux's taxidermist shop. He had been mentioned in the article about the attack and maybe had some insight on the birds. He doesn't seem to be the most pleasant of people but was more than eager to sell James a stuffed crow. Why he wanted it I don't know because it is painfully obvious that the birds outside are much bigger than his. He did show a lot of disdain for others in town. It seems that he is not a fan of the Sheriff or the Mcphee's. I forgot to note earlier that Kenneth is the brother of the mayor. When we asked about Prescott Walker, he said he had not seen him in over a week. Marshall had not even heard about what happened at the public house.

After his purchase, James decided to buy binoculars but he didn't have any.  We were directed to stop by Maude's store. That would have to wait. So we made a quick trip to the house and dropped off the bird and headed for the library.

It was an old house. The place was surprisingly well stocked and had a collection of old papers that rivaled my own. I quickly introduced myself as Dr. Pendergapp and asked the librarian if she had historical books and records for the town. She hopped to work right away. I wanted more information about the founding families of the town and the Abenaki. Unfortunately, she could not located the old manuscripts she remembered seeing. The librarian said it could have been in the manor. Since this was the old Walker house, I figure she means the Walker Manor. I must find those manuscripts. Plus, I need to ask someone later what the woman's name was. I was a bit overwhelmed on how nice the place was.

Next, we headed to the store. At the counter was a healthy woman, that turned out to be Marshall Devereux's wife. She was more than happy to supply James with an expensive pair of binoculars. When asked about the crows, she did not have much to say. She assumed it was some type of disaster, like the blizzard last May. I questioned her about this but she seemed to think it was some freak occurrence and wasn't all that important. I think after lunch I will go back and read up on this at the library. I don't understand why it didn't make the city news. It shouldn't have happened. After we left, I think Jack chimed in finally wondering how long the sawmill had been closed. Not a bad idea to follow up. He seems lost in thought ever since we got here and doesn't say much. I wonder what's wrong?

No comments:

Post a Comment